Additional Dinner Party Ideas
• At the beginning of your dinner put a large jar in the middle of the table, announce a word that you think is overused and ban the word from being said at the party.
• Anyone who says the nominated word has to pay a $5 fine to the jar into the middle of the table. Raise the stakes by letting other guests pay $20 to nominate their own word they want banned.
Mobile Phone Ban
• As guests arrive, they need to place their mobile phone in a bowl and not access it during the meal.
• Each time they want to check it or answer a call, they need to make a donation of $10.
Jelly Bean Guess
• Fill a big jar with lots and lots of jelly beans or sweets for a quantity guess.
• It could cost $5 a guess or $10 for a hint.
• The winner takes all the jelly beans home.
• Instead of making the same dessert for everyone, make an individual dessert for each guest. Some should be elaborate and others can be simple, like a scoop of vanilla ice cream with sprinkles.
• Let guests know that to get a dessert they have to ‘bid’ on one in an auction.
• Bring the dishes out one by one and let the fun begin. You can either provide a menu of the desserts beforehand for guests to choose which ones they or leave the list a mystery until the dessert is bought out of the kitchen, so guests have no way of knowing if something better is going to come out.
• Raise the stakes by making some desserts “mystery items”. Bring them out covered and start the bidding on the mystery dessert – only reveal what the dessert is after it has been won.
• Ask your guests to bring old clothes they would like to parade and sell.
• Put a price on on the items and, if there is more than one guest who wants the piece of clothing, why not spice it up by having a bidding war.
• Or more simply, just organize a clothes swap with friends over some wine and nibbles but, instead of swapping, each clothes item has a price tag.
Dinner party theme suggestions
• Colour party – all guests must wear a splash of MPHK colours – red and while
• Cambodian Feast – the food served is a selection of Asian and/or Cambodian food